Burning a candle or diffusing essential oils is a must in many households. There is nothing more refreshing than coming home to a warmly scented home with enticing seasonal aromas. Unfortunately, some candles and essential oils can be detrimental to our pets’ lungs and overall health.
If you’re anything like me, my pets are my second children and I would do anything to keep them safe! So what do we need to look out for and how can we make better candle buying choices?
Why some candles are dangerous
Did you know that big brand candles contain anywhere from 800 to 1,500 chemicals? Scientists say that this can be attributed to the complexity of their unique scents. Some candles even contain harmful toxins that can be dangerous to our pets’ lungs including lead, naphthalene, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
When purchasing candles for your home, look out for these common, dangerous ingredients.
● Paraffin - Paraffin candles can contain synthetic fragrances and carcinogenic soot that can worsen respiratory conditions including asthma.
● Phthalates - Phthalates are a common candle ingredient that can cause diabetes, birth defects, cancer and more dangerous conditions.
● Candle wicks with a lead core release toxic fumes causing additional health issues.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want anything like that burning around my pets let alone around my family and children!
Understanding which ingredients are safe for pets and which oil and candle ingredients are toxic, is the first step to creating a safe and healthy environment for our furry friends.
How to choose safe candles for pets
Look for eco friendly brands that support safe materials and sustainable manufacturing processes.
1. Look for candles made from natural ingredients Find candles made of Soy, bluecorn and beeswax with no artificial fragrances and preferably non-GMO.
2. Avoid dangerous essential oils Avoid oils like wintergreen, cinnamon, camphor, clove, bitter almond, garlic, horseradish, mustard, and pennyroyal.
Candle and diffuser pet safety
Candles and diffusers should be out-of-reach of any pets to prevent ingestion, burns, and minimizing other risks mentioned before. These items should never be left unattended or left alone with a pet to ensure all safety precautions.
When you need a safe eco-friendly candle option for your home, try an all-natural, organic candle from River Birch Candles! River Birch uses organic cotton wicks with no metal, soy wax, a n d n a t u r al f r a g r a n c e wit h e s s e n tial oils - s o t h e y a r e t r uly s a f e t o b u r n a r o u n d p e t s a n d c hild r e n.